Thursday, 13 May 2010

Pretty in Pink Strawberry Fool

Movie night. For some people that means actually lining up in a theater somewhere, paying $25 for popcorn and gritting their teeth while people shuffle, talk, block their view, play with their phones and other annoying human habits.
Not me, for the most part, if I am watching a movie I am watching it on tv. Go ahead and talk about the plot and even the ending of that newest blockbuster. By the time I see it I will have forgotten what you were talking about anyway.
This week's theme challenge at I Heart Cooking Clubs is Movie Night. Take that as you will. At first I thought I would look for a dish suitable for eating while watching a movie, but then decided to make a dish inspired by a movie. A movie I might actually see - like one on tv.
So my dish is based on Pretty in Pink. A timeless classic.

Pretty in Pink Strawberry Fool
Movie Night at I Heart Cooking Clubs
Yield 4 servings
Time 30 minutes
Mark Bittman
The New York Times

If you have perfectly ripe, sweet berries, you may reduce the sugar called for by half. On the other hand, some berries are so tart that you will need more. I add a bit of vanilla extract to the cream for flavor, but you can consider this optional.

Ingredients

* 1 pint strawberries
* 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional

Method

* 1. Hull strawberries, then wash them and chop into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Toss with half the sugar, and wait 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they give up their juices.
* 2. Place half the strawberries and all the juice in a blender, and puree. Pour puree back in bowl with chopped strawberries.
* 3. Whip the cream with remaining sugar and vanilla until cream is stiff and holds peaks easily. Fold berries and cream together, and serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to two hours.

Back when James Spader always played a d*ck. Hey, where has he been recently anyway? I lost track of him after Boston Legal.

Pretty in pink
Isn't she?
Pretty in pink
Isn't she?

Who knew that playing Duckie would actually be the coolest character Jon Cryer portrayed? Oh Alan Harper, you're no Duckie.

Strawberry Fool - Rich and creamy and decadent and totally delicious.
Make some this week!
~
In case I have left you feeling nostalgic, here's a little flashback to the 80's for you.

IHCC