Saturday, 22 May 2010

Weekend Book Review: C'mon Papa. Dispatches from a Dad in the Dark.

C'mon Papa
Dispatches from a Dad in the Dark
Ryan Knighton
Hardcover, 272 pages
Personal Memoir

Ryan Knighton is a Canadian writer and comic essayist whose work has been published in Esquire, The New York Times, The Globe and Mail, and Salon. His previous book, Cockeyed, a wry and humourous recounting of his life seen through his fading eyes, won him critical acclaim.
Now almost completely blind, he shares the journey of becoming a father with his inimitable frank and witty style.
The journey into parenthood is wondrous, terrifying, and often fraught with complications. Imagine the journey without the gift of sight. Ryan kept me on the edge of my seat and laughing out loud throughout the entire book. Once I picked the book up I couldn't put it down.
Having had my own children quite a while ago, I confess I am not fascinated by anyone else's children or parenting experiences. We have an unofficial "no big dogs and no small children" rule at our house. Well, at least until we are grandparents.
But I was immediately intrigued by this rock and roll Vancouverite writer, without sight, and his process of feeling his way through becoming a father. Ryan's quest to connect with his child and really know her without being able to see her visually is daring, touching, and really, really funny.