Sunday, 6 June 2010

Bittman's Pasta Salad with Beans and Herbs

When the herbs are full and lush in the garden I use them in great big handfuls. For salads, pastas, rice, sauces, drinks.. whatever could use an herbal boost.
My most prolific herbs are oregano, lemon thyme, chives, and mint. If only I could grow other plants the way these guys grow. They swallow up garden lights whole, I think they'd swallow up the house if I gave them enough time. Well, the mint would anyway.
This week I used great big bunches of them for a simple and healthy summer salad - perfect for pairing with some grilled merguez sausages and a nice light bottle of white wine.
Kick back and enjoy on the deck, while the garden herbs plot their takeover.

Pasta Salad with Beans and Herbs
For IHCC and Souper Sundays
adapted from Mark Bittman
Kitchen Express

Serve as a room-temperature salad, or warm as a main course.

Cook cut pasta, like ziti, then drian and rinse. Meanwhile, combine a couple of minced shallots; some drained precooked or canned black beans; a few tablespoons of olive oil; some minced garlic; a teaspoon of red chile flakes; and lots of freshly chopped herbs - I used mint, oregano, chives, lemon thyme, a little bit of sage, and parsley. Toss with the pasta and season to taste with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
I added in minced preserved lemon for a zesty kick.


IHCCSouperSundays