Monday, 5 July 2010

Armchair Book Review: The Invisible Gorilla

The Invisible Gorilla
And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us
Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons
Hardcover, 320 pages

This book is a bit of a departure for me, the title alone was very intriguing. Having a background in psychology (not actually a prerequisite for food blogging..) I am generally very wary of pop psychology books. But this particular book, written by two psychology professors, serves to demonstrate to the reader that our attentiveness, memory, and intuition are not as reliable as we may think.
Through multiple studies and experiments, all shared in common language and neatly referenced in the back, the authors show us how our own imaginations and expectations tend to fill in the gaps of our perceptions. The premise of the book is that we hold more illusions than we realize, and it is fascinating to go through the different ways the mind copes with knowledge and experiences and how that affects everyday life.
I found the book very readable and enjoyable. Certainly my mind has been opened up more to the delicate construct of our own illusions or, I should say, my own illusions.