What's better than a big, delicious burger filled with herbs and garlic and spicy goodness? Top it with fresh pineapple, broiled with brown sugar, crispy bacon, chipotle mayo and all the fixins... and put it on a freshly baked gorgeous challah bun! This is hamburger heaven my friends, but don't take my word for it, make it yourself!
Bitchin Kitchen Supper Club
* 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
* 1 bunch of chives, minced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon steak spice
* 1 big pinch of Greek oregano
* 1 big pinch of hot chili flakes
* 1 big pinch of sea salt and black pepper
* 1/2 pound fresh ground organic chuck
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
Toppings and Assembly
* 4 slices Applewood smoked bacon
* 2 fresh pineapple slices, 1/2” thick
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 slices mozzarella cheese
* 2 brioche buns, toasted and cut in half
* or 2 challah buns, toasted and cut in half
* boston lettuce (I used baby spinach)
* 1 ripe tomato, sliced into rounds
* 2 pickles, sliced
* 1/3 cup mayonnaise
* 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
* 1 pinch sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
1. In a bowl, mix egg, parsley, chives, garlic, steak spice, Greek oregano, chili flakes and sea salt.
2. Add beef and squish together for a minute to season beef, don’t over-mix, cover and refrigerate.
3. Shape beef into 2 wide 1-inch thick patties.
4. Heat canola oil in a pan on medium-high.
5. Sear patties for 2 minutes on each side, until they develop a nice crust. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 4 minutes per side.
6. Top each patty with a slice of mozzarella cheese and melt.
Toppings and Assembly
1. Heat a big pan on medium and line up the bacon slices. Cook until golden and crispy. Drain.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the pineapple with butter and lightly sprinkle with brown sugar. Place on baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes, until caramelized.
3. Slather chipotle mayo on toasted broche buns, add lettuce, tomato, pickles, burger patty with melted cheese, bacon and a slice of caramelized pineapple.
1. In a food processor, blend together mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, salt and pepper.
Couldn't be simpler. Scrub up a few russets, one good size one per person, quarter length-wise and wedge according to size and taste. Toss with olive oil and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 475f, seasoned with kosher salt and Montreal steak spice, until crispy. Eat.
Challah Burger Buns
adapted from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
makes 8 really big buns
4 tsp instant yeast
5 cups AP flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, room temp
1 cup very warm water (120-130 degrees)
1 pinch saffron threads
1 egg white
1 egg yolk (from egg above), beaten, mixed with 1/2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cold water
1 tsp+ poppy seeds
In mixer bowl, combine yeast, 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
Gradually add the hot water and beat at low speed with the paddle attachment for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl when needed.
Add saffron, eggs, and egg white (reserve yolk). Beat for 2 minutes at high speed once combined.
Change to dough hook and add flour a little at a time.
Continue to mix and adjust flour so that the dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead 10 minutes by hand, less in a mixer.
Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, rolling to cover, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rest one hour.
Punch down the dough, divide in two.
Roll each piece into a loose cylander and divide each into 4 for very large buns, 5 or 6 for smaller ones. Total 8 buns (or more, if you choose smaller).
Roll each portion into a 14 inch snake and curl up to make a spiral bun. Tuck in ends and press down with your palm to flatten a bit.
Place on your prepared baking sheets (I use silpats, parchment is fine)
Brush with the egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Let rise, uncovered, about 30-40 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400F, 20 minutes before baking.
Bake until golden and beautiful, rotating pan in the oven 2/3 the way through for even colouring, about 15-20 minutes.
Let cool on racks while you admire how beautiful they are.
These Challah Burger Buns have been Yeastspotted!