Saturday, 10 July 2010

Relief - and Caesars!

Oh thank heavens for rain. Our day of tropical storms yesterday served to cool the land at least temporarily, the collective sigh of relief was audible.
Yes, I know, Canadians are famous for talking about the weather, or complaining about it, but this record-breaking heatwave had us hiding in the house all week, lest we melt onto the sidewalk or simply vaporize in mid-stride.
So all week this KitchenPuppy, usually surrounded only by cute little furry creatures, has had one vacationing husband and one job-hunting teenager underfoot. In my tiny little house. Trapped by the heat. Ugh.
But before I sold off said teenager, or invested in twin beds for my husband (the human furnace) and I, the skies opened up and cooled the earth and this little brick pizza oven I call home.
This calls for a drink, no?

CLASSIC CAESAR
That's The Spirit!

Ingredients:

* 4 oz. Clam Tomato Cocktail
* 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 oz. vodka
* 1 Dash TABASCO® Brand Pepper Sauce
* celery salt
* to taste Celery stalk
* Lime wedge
* pepper
* to taste salt
to taste

Mixing instructions:
Rim a highball glass with lime (or lemon) , celery salt, and salt. Add vodka and Clam Tomato Cocktail to ice and season with pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Stir, and then garnish with a celery stick. Option: Rim glass with Seasoning Salt

Too tame for you? Try this one -

SIZZLING CAESAR
That's the Spirit!

Ingredients:

* 6 oz. Clam Tomato Cocktail
* 2 oz. vodka
* 1 Pinch pepper
* 1 Pinch salt
* Splash green pepper tabasco
* Splash horseradish
* Splash lemon juice
* Splash lime juice
* Splash TABASCO® Brand Pepper Sauce

Mixing instructions:
Rim highball glass with lime juice and seasoning salt. Fill the glass with ice and add all the ingredients. Stir and serve and enjoy this hot one! Option: Garnish with a cucumber spear, lemon wedge and cherry tomato.

Yeah, I have all the gear for my Caesars, I am a bit of a nerd that way. If were up to me I would have all the gear for all the cocktails I make. For some reason my husband doesn't seem to think I need all the accessories for every possible cocktail. I don't get it either.

Wanna get really fancy with your Caesars?
Try this one from Montreal's Chuck Hughes.

Snow Crab Caesar
Chuck Hughes

Ingredients

* 1 lemon, cut into wedges
* Steak spice
* Handful of ice
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Dash Worcestershire sauce
* Dash hot sauce
* 1 teaspoon fresh, grated horseradish

* 1/4 cup vodka, optional (how on earth is this optional? Mandatory!)
* 1/2 cup tomato juice (recommended: Clamato juice)
* 1 celery stick, for garnish
* 1 snow crab claw, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

Rim your glass by running a lemon wedge around the edge, then dipping the rim into a small dish of the steak spice. Put ice into a tall glass. Add a dash of salt, and pepper, to the ice. Add dashes of Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Peel and grate some fresh horseradish into the glass. Add the vodka, if using. Top up with juice. Garnish with a lemon wedge, celery stick, and crab leg.

Très fancy, non? Don't forget to invite me over if you are making these.

I love Caesars, I love the spiciness of them and that they come with their own appetizers. Now that we can actually sit out on the deck again, I see many of them in our immediate future. Now, I wonder what that neighbour of mine is up to...