Friday, October 29, 2010

A Mystic-al Pizza for Food'n'Flix

Alas, I could not find the movie of the month for Food'n'Flix in my little town. I have seen it.. twenty-some-odd years ago, but most of it escapes my memory. Mystic Pizza is a coming of age chick-flick about love and life and does-he-love-me? do-I-love-him? what-should-I-do-with-my-life? and all those questions that come at that leaving home stage of life. I'm more at the please-don't-die-before-I-do stage, but I do remember enjoying the movie. Pretty much everyone has become a star from it, and I am especially fond of Vincent D'Onofrio.

Lacking the movie, I figured making a pizza was a pretty safe bet for a cook-along. But it had to be a super-fantastic-blow-girlichef-away type of pizza. And she has high standards.

So here you go, a fan-freaking-tastic pizza on a crispy caraway rye thin crust with a cream cheese sauce, topped with prosciutto, grilled pineapple, baby spinach, black pepper and cilantro. Bon appetit!

For the dough:

1 cup rye flour
1-1.5 cups bread flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 pkg (2¼ tsp) dry instant yeast
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
good pinch of caraway seeds, or to taste

Mix all the ingredients together in your stand mixer with the dough hook until you have a nice, smooth dough. Adjust hydration or flour. Make into a smooth ball on the counter, cover and let rise one hour.

Flatbreads:
Preheat oven to 450°F 20 minutes before baking. Arrange racks on top third and bottom third of the oven.
Prepare two pizza pans, sprinkle with coarse semolina or cornmeal. 
Divide dough into two. 
Form each into a ball and roll out on a floured surface until the size of the pans. Dock the dough. (Make holes with a dough docker or a fork to keep it flat)
Bake for 15 minutes - rotating pans half way through - until crispy.
Let cool.

To make pizza:
you will need time for the cream cheese to soften

Cream cheese sauce:
1 brick (8oz) real cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup good mayonnaise
Blend until creamy in a small food processor

Toppings:
½ fresh pineapple, cut into spears and then grilled, then cut into pieces
baby spinach
cilantro leaves
prosciutto, torn into bite-sized pieces
fresh ground black pepper

Spread sauce over just cooled crusts and top with delicious toppings, baby spinach on the bottom, then pineapple and prosciutto, then cilantro, then grind fresh black pepper over it all. Eat. 

Food‘nFlix