Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, Ciabatta Number Three

One, two, three, four, five.. ♪ ♫
Everybody in the kitchen so c'mon let's ride.. ♫ ♪

Sing it baby!!


A little bit of flour in my life,

A little bit of water by my side.

A little bit of yeast is all I need,

A little bit of sea salt's all I see.

A little bit of rising in the sun,

A little bit of fermenting, all night long.

A little bit of baking here I am,

A little bit of butter makes me your fan!!!!!!!!

Ciabatta number three!


This is the third and final ciabatta we are baking from Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread.

It is similar to the others, but has a stiff biga for a preferment. That means a stiff piece of dough that ferments overnight to become the catalyst for the ciabatta.
I generally prefer a poolish, similar but looser, only because it is easier to stir. But look at those holes - you can't argue with results!

Ciabatta with Stiff Biga

Biga
6.4 oz bread flour
3.8 oz water
1/8 tsp instant dry yeast

Final dough
1 lb, 9.6 oz bread flour
1 lb, 3.6 oz water
1 Tbsp sea salt
1¼ tsp instant dry yeast
Biga - all

Follow the same method for the Ciabatta (again, I made 4 baguettes in my baguette pans), just using a stiff biga instead of the wetter poolish. You may need to add a bit of water to be able to actually knead the biga - just account for that in your final calculations - if you add an ounce in the biga, subtract an ounce in the final dough. Add the biga to your dough in chunks and make sure your final dough is well mixed.
Happy baking!

This ciabatta has been Yeastspotted!

MellowBakers.com