Monday, 13 December 2010

Perfect Table Settings

Perfect Table Settings 
Hundreds of Easy and Elegant Ideas 
for Napkin Folds and Table Arrangements
Denise Vivaldo
paperback, 352 pages

Have you ever wanted to be able to make those beautiful place settings that you see in magazines, the ones with artfully folded napkins and well placed dishes? I have to admit I have always been riveted to tablescapes. Also, I have to admit that I am a bit ham-fisted and didn't think I had it in me for artful napkin folding.

But the holidays approach and I really wanted to give it a try!

Perfect Table Settings makes it so easy. The book is focused heavily on the napkin folding, with a hundred different folding styles - each with step by step colour photos and instructions. They are divided into easy, intermediate and advanced folds.

The book also contains lots of tips and advice for entertaining: including an etiquette guide, seating plans, centerpieces, party favors, theme parties and everything you'll need for perfect table settings.

Looks so much better than just a plain napkin beside the plate doesn't it? These are from the book.
As you can see below, each fold style comes well documented so you can easily replicate it at home.


I was so excited to try this with my own napkins and dishes. Below I did the Lotus fold and paired it with some black Asian-style dinnerware. It looks so pretty! I can't believe I did this. I left it out on the counter all night for people to admire.

Tonight my daughter is coming for dinner, we are having tagine and I am excited to try a place setting and fancy folded napkin to pair with it.