Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Karen's Lovely Lemon Rolls!

Cravings. We all get them. Mine are usually more savoury than sweet, but every once in a while...

Like yesterday. When my good friend and fellow Bread Baking Babe Karen posted these lemon rolls. Like cinnamon rolls but lemony. What? Why have I never heard of such a wonder before?

Everyone loves a cinnamon roll. I always go for one if I happen to be at a coffee shop (not because they are bigger.. okay, a little bit because they are bigger..) but those cravings are once in a while and quickly satiated.

But lemon?!?! I have a lemon tooth. Give me a cinnamon roll that is less cinnamon and more lemon and I will be your friend for life.

I quickly calculated the time it would take me to get to the Netherlands to help myself to some of Karen's fresh batch of lemony wonders.. and decided it was likely more economical to bake them myself. Of course I can't eat 15, like Karen made. So I made 9. Out of the same amount of dough though. Sneaky.

However many you make, you are going to want to try these at least once. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a leftover lemon roll calling my name.

Karen's Fluffy, Sticky Lemon Rolls
from Bake My Day!
Recipe and notes from Karen (Baking Soda)
Check out her site for step by step photos.

Delicate soft rolls tangy enough to stand up against the sugar. Really very nice! Very important to not overbake, rather take them out a tad early to keep the fluff in the bread.

It all starts with dough:
25 gr fresh yeast (or 2½ tsp instant yeast)
¾ cup milk
4 tbs soft butter
4 tbs vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
3½ cups bread flour (500 gr)
1 cupAP flour (150 gr)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
zest of 1 lemon (juice will be used for glaze!)
2 medium eggs (N - I needed 3)

Simple straight forward dough: knead all ingredients until you get a rather stiff but supple doughball and leave to rise until doubled (approx. 1 hour). Roll out into a rectangle of approx. 10”x15”.
(Or cover and place in the fridge for up to 24 hours).

Sticky lemon filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 lemon; juice and zest

3 tbs soft butter

Mix sugar with spices and rub in the zest, then add enough lemon juice to form a paste.

Spread the rectangle with butter and follow up with the lemon-sugar mixture. make sure to leave the borders bare. Roll up from the longer side and pinch the dough closed. Messy messy! Have to say that the filling will ooze out from everywhere really but try to keep most of it in. This is why it is important to keep your borders naked otherwise you’ll end up in deep citrus mess. ;-)

Slice in 1.1/5” or 2” rolls, it made me 15 rolls that fitted nicely in a 13x9” pan as you can see below. Edit: for your pleasure and your pan's health it is a good idea to line your pan with parchment. Leave an overhang on the short sides for easy lifting.

Cover and leave to rise approx. 45 minutes or until they fill the pan. Preheat oven to 350F/180C  and bake for 30-35 minutes. Keep a close eye on them they near the end of baking time, I took them out when the rims were nicely browned but the dough in between almost looked not done and that turned out to be perfect. In my oven closer to 30 than to 35 minutes.

Add a simple lemon glaze by using the reserved lemon juice and powdered sugar. Yum! Perfect Sunday brunch.