Saturday, 1 January 2011

Weekend Novel Review: Playing the Game

Playing the Game
Barbara Taylor Bradford
Hardcover, 400 pages

I am fairly generous in my regard of books and authors. I feel people deserve kudos for writing a book and getting published, and I am pretty happy to read most genres - with a special interest in books of intrigue and suspense.

Barbara Taylor Bradford has published 26 books now and I figured she would be at the top of her game.

This is the first of her books that I have read and I was surprised at how very under-whelmed I was.

Playing the Game is about Annette Remmington, private art dealer and wife of the much older Marius Remmington. She is a rising star in the art world and has dark secrets in her past. Marius also has secrets of his own. That's good, I am all for dark secrets. But overall I found the book to irritate me, too slow for the most part and then everything just seemed to get quickly explained away at the end.

Ultimately I was left unsatisfied, but somewhat curious as to whether this was an anomaly or an indication of her writing style in general. Perhaps one day I will risk reading another of her books to compare. She has certainly sold a lot of books in her lifetime.