Monday, 7 February 2011
Moosewood Mondays: Greek Stuffed Pita and Carrot Orange Salad
Look in that pita, you have all the colours of the rainbow in there, and the carrot salad positively glows with healthy. And it is the year of the rabbit now, so you have to get your crunching on.
(In Chinese astrology I'm not a rabbit, I'm a dog - go figure. You can find out your sign here)
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
* 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts, cut into quarters
* ¼ cup chopped roasted red bell pepper, or ½ fresh
* 2 celery stalks, chopped
* 1 medium tomato, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil
* juice of half a lemon
* 1 tablespoon fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
* 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
* 2/3 cup feta (about 5 ounces)
* 2 tbsp capers
* 3/4 cup sliced Kalamata olives
* leafy lettuce (romaine, butter, red, or even cabbage)
* 4 pitas, warmed if desired
* In a large bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Likely you will only need the pepper)
* Cut each pita in half, and fill with the mixture and lettuce.
* Serve immediately.
Carrot Orange Salad
adapted from Moosewood Low Fat Favorites
3 cups shredded carrots
3 medium oranges, peeled
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
* Place carrots in a medium bowl. Section oranges into the bowl to catch juices. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.