Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Armchair Novel Review - The Leopard by Jo Nesbo

The Leopard
by Jo Nesbo
Paperback, 624 pages

There is nothing I love more than a good mystery novel. Jo Nesbo is new to me, but this is his sixth book to be translated into English - let me tell you - one book and I am hooked. He is the kind of author that you will want to read everything he wrote. Readers and reviewers have compared him to Stieg Larsson, and certainly they both write voluminous and intriguing mystery - but with Larsson you never quite forget that he is a journalist first. Nesbo is the better author and storyteller, in my opinion.

In The Leopard, his deeply flawed and defeated hero Inspector Harry Hole is rescued against his will from a drug-induced haze in Hong Kong to quietly investigate the bizarre murders of two women. Once he reluctantly takes the case, he discovers more grisly murders in a pattern that all seems to lead to one night in a ski hostel up in the mountains.

Nesbo has the ability to grab your attention and keep it through the six hundred plus pages. Suspense is high in this page-turner and through all the twists and turns it is hard to put it down. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading some of his other novels. Jo Nesbo is one of my new favourite authors.