Friday, 11 March 2011

Cooking with the Tigress: Gingery Lime Sun Pickle

It is no secret that I adore homemade condiments. And nobody does them better than South Asia, India in particular. I have been known to stockpile Patak's condiments, my favourite being mango pickle. Heck I have even jeopardized my honourary Indian status by piling it on a burger. But make Indian pickle myself? That would be cool, very cool. (And by cool I of course mean hot - wow!)

In this, my year of expanding my preserving repertoire, I have discovered a certain Tigress who has no fear when it comes to putting food by. Her palate is explosive, her range delectable. Whither she goes, I will follow. I will work for pickles. 

This month she posted a sun pickle, involving not steaming pots of boiling water but the generosity of the celestial sphere. It seems so.. pagan, so right. Gingery Lime Indian Sun Pickles. Heck yes. I am there.

gingery lime pickle
Recipe and notes from the Tigress, visit her site for more info and step by step photos.

8 large organic limes
juice of 3 limes (or 2 lemons)
1/2 cup sea salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cayenne powder (or paprika, or 1/2 & 1/2)
1 cup julienned ginger
3 teaspoons turmeric powder
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon black or brown mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
1/2 gallon jar