Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ice Caffe Latte - Because I am Feeling Done with Winter

Today the rain is washing away the snow and I am very glad to see it go. Winter has left me pale and weary and I am just now getting up the energy to face a new season. I know, we still have a ways to go here in Canada,  but I am psyched. I'm eying the garden and very tempted to put the furniture back out on the deck. Don't look at me like that, it's covered. Heck, maybe I'll do it today. I have always liked the rain. Now, where is my coat...?

To celebrate this rush of spring fever, I have made caffe lattes. Iced, of course, you can go back to your hot drinks next October.

Cheers!

Mmmm, delicious!
Ice Caffe Latte
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, FoodNetwork.com
Serves:
    4 servings

Ingredients

    * 4 shots espresso (about 1 1/2 ounces each)

Directions

1/4 cup Cinnamon Simple Syrup, recipe follows

    * 1 1/3 cups whole milk
    * Crushed ice, for serving
  
Combine the espresso, flavored simple syrup, and milk in a small pitcher. Fill each of the mason jars with crushed ice. Pour the latte mixture over the ice and serve immediately.
Cinnamon Simple Syrup:

    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 4 cinnamon sticks

In a saucepan combine water, sugar, and cinnamon sticks over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and cool the syrup. Any extra cooled syrup can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Yield: 1 cup

IHCC