Monday, 14 March 2011

Moosewood Mondays: Broccoli Tabbouleh

Look at that lovely plate of green. It is enough to melt my Irish heart.

This week  I decided to make a tabbouleh salad, but as the traditional tomatoes are not in season here yet - I went with broccoli. Why not? Tabbouleh is all about the lemon, as far as I am concerned, and broccoli loves lemon.

This makes for a super nutrient-rich salad that is great to have on hand in the fridge for snacking or lunch-box filling. The increased veggie to grain ratio makes it very figure-friendly and the broccoli florets hold that lemony goodness beautifully.

Bon appetit!

Broccoli Tabbouleh Salad
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

1½ cups boiling water
1 cup bulgur
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 lemons (about ½ cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 big handfuls of  parsley, chopped
1 handful dill, chopped
4 scallions, sliced
1 big head of broccoli florets, steamed
1 cup cooked chickpeas
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling

In a heat-resistant bowl, pour boiling water over bulgur. Let stand 20 minutes, covered.
Fluff with fork, drain in fine-mesh strainer if necessary.
Toss everything into a salad bowl, drizzle with olive oil and correct seasoning to taste. Let stand at least ½ hour before serving.

Hey Natashya, is that Diet Coke I see in your Moosewood Mondays post? What is up with that?

Why yes it is. I like Diet Coke, I find it refreshing. I especially like it with barbecue, popcorn, or when overheated and parched. I am all about balance. We cook from vegan cookbooks and we also make our own charcuterie. I drink tons of water and herbal tea and I also indulge in ice cold Diet Coke. I think of it as a treat. The reason we drink Diet and not regular Coke is that my husband doesn't tolerate sugar well. Besides, I like the taste. Especially out of a can, for some reason.

What I am bad at is finishing it. There is always a good half inch or so on the bottom when I am done (same with beer, come to think of it) and it seems a bit of a waste. Sometimes when my husband will offer me one I will decide just to have some of his. This earns me withering glances when I drink more than the proffered sip.

But, check it out, Coke has come out with smaller cans! Not the squishy looking stubbies that have been around for a bit - although they are adorable - but slimmer, smaller versions of the original.

At 222mLs, they are just enough for people like me. People who crave a soda but don't necessarily want a whole big can of it. Cool, eh?