Thursday, 19 May 2011

Armchair Novel Review - The Passage



Whew! This book is an epic journey.

800 pages, and everything you would want in a blockbuster summer read. Vampires, government conspiracies, military, plague, intrigue, survival and, at the bottom of Pandora's box - hope.

The Passage
by Justin Cronin

Paperback, 800 pages
Also available as an abridged audio CD, abridged audiobook download, unabridged audiobook download, eBook and a hardcover.

Where to start? The Passage takes place over the course of decades, beginning with a rounding up of marginal peoples for government/military experiments that go horribly wrong. We are left with a post-apocalyptic world fraught with danger and seemingly without hope. Colonies have to stick together and rebuild, create society anew, and wonder if anyone else is out there or how long they themselves will survive.

One strange little girl, abandoned at the age of six, seems to walk alone through the miles and decades that the book spans. What makes her special may be the key to humanity's survival.

~

If you have ever read Stephen King's The Stand, you will see some parallels in this book. It is at the same time very long and very quick reading. I found myself immersed, which is exactly what I want in a book like this. Sometimes breathlessly turning pages. There were times when my attention lagged, when I got a little confused as to all the characters, but for the most part The Passage consumed me, keeping me up late at night in its world and now has me waiting impatiently for the next one - The Twelve, due out next year.