Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sunflower Seed Bread with Rye Sourdough

Feeling a little nutty? I know I am!
This is a nice, chewy bread made nutty with the addition of toasted sunflower seeds and rye chops. It is excellent with cream cheese and cucumbers and makes a nice addition to a summer salad.

Yes, I still bake bread in the summer. In fact I am more likely to bake in the summer. Not because I am a masochist by nature, but in the coldest days of winter all I want to do is wrap myself up in the duvet and read. As I live in Canada, that actually accounts for a lot of days. Oh well, at least I am well read. Or well rested. You get my point.

You may find that your dough rises faster when it is hot and humid. You be the judge of when you think it is ready. Go on, I trust your judgement. Time and temperature are flexible variables; you may have to make adjustments for seasons. Just don't forget to let your water sit out overnight, uncovered, so that any chlorine (killer of natural yeasties) has dissipated. There, that's not so hard, is it? Now go bake some bread!

This bread has been Yeastspotted!
Sunflower Seed Bread with Rye Sourdough
adapted from Jeffrey Hamelman, Bread
for the Mellow Bakers

Sourdough (day 1)
Rye flour - 6.4 oz
Water - 5.1 oz
Mature sourdough culture - 2 Tbsp

Soaker (day 1)
Rye chops - 5.3 oz
Water - 5.3 oz

Dough (day 2)
Bread flour - 1lb, 4.3 oz
Sunflower seeds, toasted - 6.4 oz
Water - 15.2 oz
Sea salt - 3.5 tsp
Instant dry yeast - 2 tsp
Malt syrup - 2 tsp
Soaker - all
Sourdough - all

The night before:
Mix up your sourdough ingredients, cover and let sit overnight on the counter.
Mix up your soaker ingredients, cover and let sit out overnight beside your sourdough.
Don't let your significant other mess with these bowls. Or your cat.

The next day:
Sleep well? Good! Eat some breakfast and let's make some bread.
Everyone into the pool! And by pool I mean stand mixer. It helps if you break up the sourdough a bit. I'll wait.
Get out your dough hook and mix on low for 3 minutes. Turn up to medium and mix for another 3 minutes. Adjust flour/water if necessary. Turn out onto your lightly floured board and knead into a ball. Put in a bowl and cover, let rise 1 hour.
Divide into two, shape into loaves, cover and let rise another hour.
Preheat the oven to 440°F.
Score and bake for 35-45 minutes, until nicely browned and has an internal temperature of over 200°F.
Let cool on wire racks. Eat!

MellowBakers.com