Sunday, 5 June 2011

Pesce alla Griglia (Grilled fish)

"When I wish to make a wish
I wave my hand with a big swish swish.
Then I say, “I wish for fish!
And I get fish right on my dish.” 
-Dr. Seuss, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, 1960

And who wouldn't wish for fish? Fish is delicious, quick cooking, and fabulous on the grill. And, if you are lucky enough to be given the gift of a freshly caught trout? Even better. 

We received this bounty, perfect for the two of us, from a co-worker who happened to have been up north fishing on his vacation this week. 

When your catch is that fresh, you don't need to drown it or batter it or otherwise cover up its pure, fresh flavour - rather, simple preparation with a minimum of fuss is best. Also, it is deck season and you would rather spend you time out in the sunshine than in the kitchen - am I right?

Simply season, stuff, and truss that fishie and grill it lightly whilst holding a cold beer in your hand. 

Serve with fresh veggies and some couscous, which only requires a few minutes in hot stock. Dinner is ready before you finish that beer. 

Don't forget the awesome herb sauce! Fresh herbs and lemon with olive oil - pounded out in the mortar and pestle. A good way to work out any lingering work stress. 

Pesce ala Griglia
adapted from Jamie Oliver's Italy
for IHCC's Something's Fishy!

Take one whole trout - scaled, gutted, and beheaded. Because I don't like my dinner staring back at me.
Open that baby up, sprinkle the insides with kosher salt and fresh black pepper.
Thinly slice a lemon (halved into moons, if the fish is small like mine)
Line each inside side with the lemons.
Stuff with fresh oregano or marjoram.
Tie closed with butcher's twine, trim excess string.
Cook on the grill, medium, for about 8-10 minutes a side - more or less depending on the size of the fish.
Let rest a couple of minutes before serving.

Salmoriglio 
(marjoram sauce)
adapted from Jamie Oliver's Italy

Put 2 handfuls of fresh marjoram or oregano into a pestle and mortar and smash and grind to a paste. Loosen well with extra virgin olive oil. Squeeze in some lemon juice, add the fine zest, taste it, and season with salt and pepper. If you think more lemon juice is needed, feel free to add it. Serve with the trout.
(Mine is on top of the whole trout for the photo - but really, I don't eat the skin)

IHCCJamieOliver
IHCC