Thursday, 28 July 2011

There's Always Room for Jello!

Too hot to bake and you've had ice cream for dessert 234323 times in a row? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

These summer fruit jellies are delicious and fun to make and you don't even have to turn on your oven. You do have to pop the cork on some sparking wine, but I'm sure you have a handle on that by now. Just sayin'.

You can set the wine-soaked jellies in small shallow dishes for unmoulding, or do as I did - set them up in champagne flutes for delicious drama.

Now you can have your wine and eat it too. With berries. Or cherries. What can be better than that?


Summer Fruit Jellies
Jamie Oliver
for IHCC - We be chillin'
servings
6-8

Ingredients

• a few handfuls each of blueberries and raspberries (add in some wild strawberries, if you can find them!)
• 4 beef gelatine leaves
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar
• 400ml Prosecco sparkling wine or Champagne
• fresh mint leaves, to serve

Make these in individual moulds, little tea cups or coffee cups, which are a great way of transporting them to your picnic.

Fill whatever moulds you are using (egg cups, cappuccino or espresso cups or tea cups or dariole moulds) three-quarters full of berries. Put them in the fridge to chill.

Meanwhile, soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for a few minutes until soft. Pick them out of the water and shake any excess water off. Place them in a bowl and cover with 150ml hot (but not boiling) water and the sugar. Stir to dissolve.

When the gelatine water has cooled to room temperature, add the Prosecco or Champagne, stir well and pour over the fruits in the chilled moulds. Return to the fridge to set.

When the jellies are ready, dip the bottom of each one in a little hot water to melt it very slightly and then turn out on to a plate. Scatter with a few mint leaves before serving.


My changes: I used fresh cherries, because I had some on hand and I am all about using what you've got! Same goes for the sparkling rosé.

What I learned: Fizzy wine fizzes up even more when you add sugar. Use a fairly large container and stir when you add it.

Gelatine: I have never seen sheets here, I use the powder. Bloom it on ¼ cup of wine, add ¼ cup hot water, stir. If very hot, let cool a bit. Add to the sugared wine and stir. Pour over berries.
I always feel like a bit of an oaf using gelatine, but it always works out anyway. Apparently it's very forgiving.

Tricky: I decided how much wine I would need by filling up one of the cherry-filled glasses with water. Then I emptied the water out into a measuring glass. Then I multiplied by 4 for the 4 glasses, bumping the amount up slightly to account for any discrepancy in the glasses/fruit ratio. I got 2 cups. The sachet of Knox powder sets two cups, so all was well.

Lush: An open bottle of sparkling wine, half used, means that the chef gets to drink the rest.
IHCCJamieOliver
IHCC