Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Armchair Book Review: Darkness, My Old Friend

Darkness, My Old Friend
by Lisa Unger

Hardcover, 368 pages
Also available as an unabridged audiobook download and an eBook

Darkness, My Old Friend takes place in The Hollows, a wooded town that was the setting of one of Lisa Unger's previous books, Fragile. The town is a patchwork quilt of intriguing and mysterious characters, including an early-retired cop struggling with his past and wondering about his future; a novelist looking for a quiet place to write, and her daughter - railing at having been moved from New York city to the middle of nowhere; an ailing psychic, a private detective, and a man trying to solve the mystery of his mother's death some twenty years before.

The book is told in the third person but each chapter is in the perspective of one of the characters. I was quite taken by the crafting of this novel and kept thinking to myself that if I were to write a mystery novel I would want to do it in this fashion.

Each character is complex and mysterious in their own right, and up to the end you are never sure which threads are part of the greater mystery to be solved.

Definitely put this one on your summer reading list!

To read an excerpt from Darkness, My Old Friend, click here.