Saturday, November 19, 2011

Simple Carrot Soup, and the Colour Orange

I think orange is the happiest colour. I use it as my accent colour in my kitchen, and have a shiny (well, not new but very well loved) orange stand mixer on my counter. If an item happens to come in orange, that is the one I will choose. Orange also happens to go nicely with browns, burgundies and greens. Which is awesome, as I am a fall.

Orange is also the colour of carrots (thanks to the Dutch) and at the end of the week, when ingredients are hard to find in my fridge, there are always a few carrots around. They are the workhorses of the crisper, with you until the very end.

Throw in a few other staples, a couple of potatoes and onions, and you have a soup. See? You thought you had nothing to make for dinner, now you have homemade soup. Orange soup. Amazing.

Simple Carrot Soup
adapted from Piri Piri Starfish, by Tessa Kiros
inspired by Deb's carrot soup
for I♥CC Orange Skies

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup sliced onion or leeks
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1.5 lb carrots, peeled and chopped roughly
1 lb potato, peeled and chopped roughly
4 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
Splash white wine
Fresh ground pepper and kosher salt to taste

In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat up olive oil. Add onions and cook on medium, stirring, until golden. Add in garlic, carrots and potatoes and cook, stirring, for one minute.
Add stock and stir.
When it comes to a simmer, reduce heat and let bubble gently for about 40 minutes, until veggies are soft.
Take off heat and whiz up with your immersion blender.
Add wine, salt and pepper to taste.
Place back on the heat for a couple of moments to heat through and serve.


Something to sing while you eat orange soup. IHCC IHCC Tessa Kiros Button