Sunday, 15 January 2012

Peanut Butter Cake Donuts

Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
Homer Simpson

Bake a cake and it is for dessert - bake a cake with a hole in it and you can have it for breakfast!

That's logic I can live with. And eat.

Traditionally I like yeasted donuts, but I thought I would give my new donut pans a workout with the cake variety. Well, I saw a picture of these peanut butter ones with chocolate glaze...

And the rest was history. I told myself they were for my son. I even let him have some. I'm a good mom like that. ☺

Peanut Butter Cake Donuts 
adapted from So Sweet by Sur la Table
for Cookbook Sundays #6

You will need - donut pans - 12 regular sized wells.

½ cup salted butter, room temp
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1½ cups AP flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
¼ cup sour cream

½ cup chocolate chips
6 Tbsp butter, salted
½ cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F
Spray pans lightly with baking spray
Cream the two sugars with the butter in your stand mixer.
Add in the peanut butter, scraping down the sides.
Mix in eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
Add in vanilla and mix.
In a smaller bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
Add half the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, mix until incorporated.
Add in the sour cream, mix until incorporated.
Follow with the last of the dry mixture.
Place all of the batter into a large freezer bag and cut a dime sized hole in the bottom corner.
Pipe into the donut wells. Tap pans down to let batter settle.
Bake 12-14 minutes or until set and baked through.
Let cool fully on racks.

Make glaze
Melt chocolate and butter gently over a double boiler.
Stir and let cool slightly.
Dip donuts into warm glaze to coat tops.
Garnish with chopped peanuts.